JUNE 17, 2017 – Beach Bum Triathlon #1
JULY 29, 2017 – Beach Bum Triathlon #2
Friday : 4pm-6pm at Go Tri Sports
Larger Map to Go Tri Sports
Saturday (race day) : 6:45am-7:45am at race site –
Larger Map to Race Start
Male and Female : Top 10 39 – Under; Top 10 40 – 59; and, Top 5 60 – Over
Team Relay : Top 5 Overall
Start Time: 8am
Race Location: Coligny Beach, Hilton Head Island.
Arrival Time: Arrive at race site no later than 7am.
Packet PickUp: Friday – 4pm to 6pm @ Go Tri Sports (MAP)
Saturday – 6:45 to 7:30am @ Race Site (MAP)
Race Format: .25mi Ocean Swim / 6mi Beach Bike / 3mi Beach Run.
Parking: There is ample parking across the street from the race site in the Coligny Beach Parking Lot – located just off of Pope Ave. – there are also parking spaces near the beach. See Course Map for Parking locations
Body Marking: Body Marking will begin at 6:30am at the race site.
Pre-Race Instructions/Meeting: This meeting will take place at the transition area on the beach at approx. 7:30am. At this pre-race meeting we will go over the race instructions, course, and any other logistics. This meeting will also provide time to answer any questions the triathletes have.
Results: Results will be posted on the race website
Awards Ceremony: Awards presentation will begin immediately after the last finisher completes the race. The awards ceremony will take place at the Coligny Beach access area. You must be present to collect your award – or have someone get it for you. Awards will not be mailed out. The awards ceremony is expected to take place at 9:45am.
Awards Divisions: Awards are given in each gender to the top ten finishers 39 – under; top ten finishers 40 – 59; and, top five finishers 60 – over. Also, awards are given to the top five relay teams overall.
Post-race Refreshments: There will be lots to eat and drink following the race – refreshments will be located at the Coligny Beach access area.
- The transition area is located on the beach. The bike racks will not be numbered – the triathletes may rack their bike first come – first serve.
- Only participants are allowed in the transition area. The bikes racks will be fenced in so that only participants can access the area.
- No bike storage overnight.
- Only the race participant may remove his/her bike from the transition area.
- Participants must run their bikes to the transition area entrance before mounting and must dismount at the transition area entrance upon completing the bike leg.
- Swim caps are provided in the race packet and must be worn.
- Be prepared to swim at 8am
- The swim is a mass start – meaning, all swimmers begin at the same time.
- The swim is parallel to the shore and with the current. So, swimmers will swim approx. 35m out around the first buoy – swim 430m down passing the second buoy on their inside and at the third buoy – swim 35m in to shore. There are three yellow buoys in the water. Swimmers must swim on the outside of the buoys at all times.
- There will be plenty of water support in the water. If you feel you need assistance during the swim, roll over on your back and raise your hand in the air.
- Swimmers will exit the water directly in front of the transition area.
- There will be water available for the swimmers as they exit the ocean.
- The bike course is entirely on the beach.
- Bikers will ride 1.5mi down the beach to a turn around – the ride 3mi down the beach to another turn around – then 1.5mi back to the transition area. The turn arounds will be staffed with volunteers and very visible – but it is up to the triathlete to be aware of where they are at all times.
Is this race entirely on the beach?
Yes, aside from swimming in the ocean, you will bike and run on the hard flat beach.
Are headphones allowed?
No, please refrain from using headphones during the bike and run portion this event.
What type of bike do I need?
You may use any type bike you prefer – but we recommend a fat tire bike (eg., mtn. bike, beach cruiser, hybrid…) for best handling.
Are wetsuits allowed?
Yes, this race is not sanctioned by USAT – so wetsuits are always allowed – no matter the water temperature.
Is there an age limit to compete?
All swimmers must be 15 years old on race day. So, a triathlete racing solo has to be at least 15 on race day. But, team members may be under 15 if they are the biker or runner (and, the swimmer is at least 15).