Hilton Head SWIMRUN 5K
The HOTTEST & WETTEST time you'll ever have on Hilton Head Island
ARE YOU READY FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT! So are we – that's why we are excited to announce the 2nd Annual Hilton Head Island's SWIMRUN 5K event. This race covers a 5K course on the beautiful Hilton Head Island coast – with multiple swim and run sections. We all know that just running a 5K is way too easy – so, its time to shake it up. And, thats exactly what we do – we do different – so we are stoked to offer this unique race – We hope you join us in this challenge!
WHAT: Swim and Run – 5 Kilometers along Hilton Head's Coast
WHEN: Saturday, May 13, 2017 – 8am
WHERE: Coligny Beach, Hilton Head Island (MAP)
WHY: Just running a 5K is sooo yesterday!
HOW: Entry Fee $35 Individual / $40 Team (2 ppl) – proceeds benefit Go Tri Gives
WHO: Anyone 15 yrs or older – and, ready to take the challenge!
Individual – $35 Early / $40 Late
Team (2ppl.) – $45 Early / $50 Late
– Proceeds benefit Go Tri Gives –
31+ days from race day = 75% refund
7+ days from race day = 50% refund
Week of race = No Refund
Saturday – 7am @ the Race Site (participants will pick up race bib, race tshirt, and get body marked)
**Note** – there is no Friday packet pickup
RACE FORMAT – The format of this event is a multi-lap format – so we will have 3 swims and 3 runs that will cover a total distance of 5K. Each swim leg will be between 250 – 350m.
This format allows for the following:
1. Safety – this format enables us to stage one swim course (versus three) and man it with safety personnel.
2. Logistics – this format allows ample parking for participants and their families & friends. It also allows participants to bring a gear bag to the start and have it waiting for them at the finish.
3. Spectators – this format allows spectators to view the race during all legs of the swim and the run. It also allows for the participants to better view the competition during the race.
COURSE MAPS BELOW
Male and Female : Top 3 Male and Female in 2 Divisions : 39-Under and 40-Over
Team Relay : Top 3
- Race format will be a combination of running and swimming
- Race is open to individual and teams (2 ppl.)
- Race course is a multi-lap course covering 5 kilometers
- Race Course consists of 3 swim sections (each approx. 300m) and 3 run sections (each approx. 1350m)
- Athletes must swim to the outside of all buoys
- Athletes must exit the water in front of the Race Flags and pass between the Race Flags before starting the run leg
- Athletes must run until the turn around point
- Athletes must pass through and enter the water at the Race Flags
- Race course will have 1 transition area where athlete's may put on & take off shoes, socks, wetsuits, …
- Race course will have 1 aid station
- Athlete must cover swim section in at least waist deep water
- Athlete is allowed assistance from water support so as long as it does not move the athlete forward
- Athlete must run the entire run course and turn around at the designated spot
- Athlete may not receive assistance from anyone except race officials, race volunteers, and other participants
- Teams will consist of one swimmer and one runner. The swimmer must swim all swim sections – and, the runner must run all run sections.
- Team members will tag at the designated Team Area
- Team member may not begin their leg until they are tagged by their team member
- Each team member must follow the rules detailed above (Individual Rules)
– swim cap (we provide)
– race bib (we provide)
– triathlon shorts or swim brief / triathlon top
– swim goggles
– run shoes and socks
– body glide
– run visor / hat
- The participants must know the rules and follow the rules.
- The participants shall respect other participants, race officials, volunteers, spectators and the people living in the race area.
- The participants are not allowed to use unfair methods to get advantages.
- The participants are obliged to help in case of emergency if the race officials are asking for it.
- The participants are participating at their own risk and can not hold the race organizers responsible for any accident during the race.
- A team or Individuals that has abandoned the race shall report it as soon as possible to the race organizers or volunteer.
- The participants are not allowed to throw trash in the nature. If anyone is doing so they will get disqualified.
- The race organizers can refuse an individual or team to continue if they judge them not capable due to fatigue or being in such bad physical condition that continued racing would be to take unnecessary risk.
- The participants gives the race organizers the right to use pictures and media material taken during the race to be used free of rights in marketing, press material, internet, television and films etc
Accepting the rules
- By entering the race each team member accepts the rules in full.
Start Time: 8am
Start & Finish Location – Coligny Beach – Hilton Head Island (MAP)
Arrival Time: Arrive at start site (Coligny Beach) site no later than 7am.
Parking: Parking on race day is available at the Coligny Town Parking Lot – adjacent to the Coligny Beach access.
Packet PickUp: Saturday – 7am @ the Race Site (MAP) – (participants will pick up race bib, race tshirt, and get body marked)
**Note** – there is no Friday packet pickup
Race Format: 5K – Multi-lap format (swim / run / swim / run / swim / run)
Body Marking: Body Marking will begin at 7:15am at the race site.
Pre-Race Instructions/Meeting: This meeting will take place at te start area on the beach at approx. 7:30am. At this pre-race meeting we will go over the race instructions, course, and any other logistics. This meeting will also provide time to answer any questions the triathletes have.
Results: Results will be posted on the race website
Awards Ceremony: Awards presentation will begin immediately after the last finisher completes the race. The awards ceremony will take place on Coligny Beach. You must be present to collect your award – or have someone get it for you. Awards will not be mailed out. The awards ceremony is expected to take place at 9:30am.
Awards Divisions: Top 3 Male (39-Under and 40-Over) / Top 3 Female (39-Under and 40-Over) / Top 3 Team
Post-race Refreshments: Refreshments will be located on Coligny Beach.
Is this race entirely on the beach?
Yes, aside from swimming in the ocean, you will run on the hard flat beach – event is scheduled at low tide so there will be plenty of hard flat beach to run on.
Are headphones allowed?
No, please refrain from using headphones during the run portion this event.
Are wetsuits allowed?
Yes, this race is not sanctioned by USAT – so wetsuits are always allowed – no matter the water temperature. If you choose to wear a wetsuit – remember that you are required to carry it on the run and it must be with you at the finish.
Is there an age limit to compete?
All swimmers must be 15 years old on race day. So, a triathlete racing solo has to be at least 15 on race day. But, team members may be under 15 if they are the runner (and, the swimmer is at least 15).